As winter weather season approaches, the Erlanger-Elsmere School District wants to remind students, parents, staff, and community of the many ways that you can stay informed about any decisions that are made regarding school closings or delays. You can use any or all of the following methods to stay informed.
(Related Article: How does wind chill affect district weather decisions?)
1. District Calling System: In the event that schools are delayed or cancelled, the superintendent will send a recorded telephone message through the district's calling system. This message will be sent to the primary or "household" phone number listed in each family's data in Infinite Campus, the district student information system. If you're not sure that the correct phone number is listed as the "household" number in Infinite Campus, please check with your school's front office. If you have an Infinite Campus parent or student account, you can see your current information and (if you're a parent) request a change yourself by clicking on the "Household Information" tab. Requests are usually approved within 24 hours.
2. Twitter: When schools are cancelled or delayed, the district also places a notice on the district Twitter site. If you're new to Twitter, directions for establishing a free Twitter account and connecting to the district's Twitter page can be found by clicking this link.
In addition, parents, students, or staff members who sign up for Twitter can also arrange to have a text message sent to their cell phones whenever the district Twitter page is updated. Directions for setting this up can be found at the bottom of the link above.
3. Text Message Alerts: You can also receive district tweets via text messaging by texting "Follow erlangerelsmere" to phone number 40404. Any tweets sent out by the district will then be sent to your cell phone. Keep in mind that these include informative, non-emergency tweets as well, and that if your cell phone plan charges for incoming texts, you'll be charged for these as well. If you subscribe to this service and then decide that you no longer wish to receive tweets via text, you can text "unfollow erlangerelsmere" to phone number 40404 and you will be unsubscribed (Some families choose to subscribe to texts during the winter weather season and then unsubscribe in the spring).
4. Facebook Feed on District Website: The district also posts a "Facebook feed" on the district website which includes the most recent posts on it. In the event that school is delayed or cancelled, you will find a notice here. The feed can be found on the bottom left of the district web page (http://www.erlanger.kyschools.us).
5. Facebook: If you're a frequent Facebook user, you can "Like" the Erlanger-Elsmere School District at http://facebook.com/erlangerelsmere. Once you've done that, any cancellations or delays will appear on your Facebook News Feed.
6. Watch the TV news or listen to the radio: If all else fails, you can always watch the list of school closings on TV or listen on the radio. Please remember that the Erlanger-Elsmere School District is an independent school district and not part of any county school system.
7. Check the local news' websites:
As an alternative to watching on TV, most of the local stations include an online version of their school closing crawlers. Here are a few:
WKRC School Closings | WCPO School Closings | WLWT School Closings | WXIX School Closings